A Coffee Drinking Israelite


"Remember how the Lord your God  led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know  what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord."-Deuteronomy 8:2-3.


As I recall the story of Gods deliverance of the Israelites, I am also reminded of a broken, humbled, and anxious little me who was sitting in a coffee shop in South Dakota on her laptop, hungry to hear Gods voice and find some truth and purpose in the place that my Heavenly Father felt fit to have me in. I found so much in common with the Israelites; walking, walking and still walking to the "land flowing with milk and honey", except that I determined that unlike the Israelites who knew that there was indeed a God descripted promised land at the end of their journey, I had no idea what my "promised land" looked like.

I did know that because I was Gods child, that whatever His promised land for me was would be good. I also knew that all I had to do was the "next right thing", even if there were more days of the week that I had no idea what that actually was, except for getting out of bed and driving to work. The promise that God had given to confused little me was solid: "You do not have to carry this weight alone Sarah." A promise that I had heard many, many times.

Childhood dreams changed and eventually vanished. Plans for use of my talents, education and passions morphed in ways that I never expected. People hurt me in places that I wasn't sure would heal, but Gods promise to deliver me from my own personal Egypt remained in tact.

Now here I am, sitting in the very first home that I will ever share with my soon-to-be husband, being prompted to reminisce on Gods faithfulness and deliverance as I face the burden of not enough money coming in for what is going out. Discouragement of getting behind and not having enough being replaced with the fact that God IS enough. He has brought me this far and brought me to my husband. He has provided housing, food, transportation and two jobs. He is GOOD and I am a humbled human in need of His grace.

Take another step my friend. Even though the journey is sometimes painful and the destination is unclear, cling to the fact that you BELONG to the One who is already there.

Comments