Patience in Plot Development


Currently one of Jeremy and I's favorite past time is to lay on the couch at the end of a long day and get engrossed in a T.V. series that will help us not focus on the days events. We have recently been watching the Sci-Fi channel series "Warehouse 13", a suspenseful, creative and fun hour long adventure that is about undercover government workers whose job is to find dangerous old artifacts and put them in a secret warehouse. As one of the characters in the show said, it's "the scariest Antique Road Show ever."

On more than one occasion while watching this T.V. show with Jeremy ( or any T.V show or movie with an unfolding plot) I always felt like I was missing something. "Who is that? When did she say that? What is he doing?" are common things that poor Jeremy has to hear. I am often answered with "Sarah, nobody knows that answer yet! It hasn't been revealed yet." or right as I am asking the questions in fear of missing out on something important, they reveal the answer. And often times, my sweet, wonderfully patient man has to pause the program and tell me what they said. ( yes, he really is a keeper.)

One of the gifts and challenges of being in a relationship is that there are things revealed about you that you never really realized before. It wasn't until I started watching sci-fi shows with Jeremy that I realized how impatient I am for things to develop. However, it should be noted that it isn't waiting for the answer that is the hardest part for me; it's the fear that I'm going to miss it when it comes.

Do you struggle with that? Do you struggle with thinking that you are going to miss something important? Sometimes I wonder if I'm just too distracted with life, people, events, thoughts that the important things that I need to know or experience pass me by. As hard of a lesson that it is to learn, this concept gives a new dimension to the classic and truer than life phrase "Gods timing is perfect." I would like to take the liberty of adding a little bit more to that phrase, so that it looks like this "Gods timing is perfect and when you are in tune with His Holy Spirit, it can't be missed."

I feel that way about church sermons. Some Sundays it is so hard to pay attention to the entire sermon. My mind just drifts off to a million different places or I'm trying to keep myself from falling asleep. But more often than not, there is at least one phrase or key point that I really heard. Not just with my ears, but I heard it with my heart. When we have willing hearts and are attuned to the Holy Spirit, we won't miss a thing.

Galatians 5:25 says "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Keeping "in step" with the Holy Spirit requires a willingness of the heart. Add a little bit of grace and we won't miss anything important.  "But He said to me "my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9.

To God be the glory that I may use my weaknesses to emphasize His abilities. I pray that you may be able to do the same as you wait for God to unveil every scene of His will for your life.

Comments