Blessed Weakness, Gauged Strength


Weakness....nobody likes it. I can't think of a single person who would see the word "weakness" and in turn have a good feeling. Weakness indicates that something isn't "up to par", and that there are limitations at hand. Someone would rather be "weak in the knees" over an individual that makes your heart beat wildly ( or for some, it can just be a good cup of coffee or a piece of high end chocolate) than be weak in body, soul and spirit. Not to mention horrible weak tasting coffee... need I say more?

God promises to give us strength in our weakness, but what we so often miss as Christians is that allows weakness so that He can be our strength. If we were always strong and if we were able to foretell the future and gauge all the information that we felt we needed...if we had enough money to cover bills and have multiple luxurious choices in life and knew if and when we were going to get sick, when our mother would pass away, or when the last opportunity to travel to Scotland or that place that we've always wanted to visit...would we really need God? 

Once again the sinful and wayward world we live in preaches a message opposite of what is true in the realm of Christianity; the only realm in which we are to serve and gain our personal worth and understanding. Day in and day out, year after year, we are taught that weakness is not only wrong and undesirable, but that it is absolutely something to be avoided. Weakness threatens appearances, reveals secrets and forces vulnerability. Weakness is what prevents you from getting that job promotion, from achieving your dreams, from being the "best you can be".

And Christ, what does He say? He says that I (Jesus Christ) am at my best..I shine and do the most amazing, incredible work in your life in your weakness. He delights in us being flat on our backs, in gasping for breath, in losing much so that we can gain so much more. Not because He is a cruel God that needs a power trip, but because He knows How He designed His children. He designed us in such a way that the only way to survive is to be completely dependent on Him.  

"Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me."-2nd Corinthians 12:9

I am in a season of life in which I am physically weak. Every day is different, never sure what type of energy is going to be supplied for that day or how much I can handle. But one thing has been impressed upon me: Through my Lord Jesus Christ, I know my strength is gauged through the hands of my Provider. As I lean into my weakness rather than fight it, I am victorious because of who is supplying me with the ability to do so.

Comments