Good Bye Granny Nanny, Hello North Carolina



Heavens Ta-betsy, it's true. God's little gypsy is on the move again. Every time this happens in my life it is usually followed by "I hope this is the last move for awhile!", but at this point in my life I have certainly learned better. I have been learning that it isn't my business to decide how long God chooses to place me somewhere; that as His daughter, my life does not belong to me. In my last adventure as a "granny nanny", I viewed the job as an "assignment". For some reason, the word "assignment" sounded more temporary, with more room for the unknown than your typical job. Since that job, God has been impressing upon me that every adventure He places me on is just that; an assignment. We don't know how long that it is going to be, what it's going to really look like and how you and the other participants are going to change. Isn't it interesting how using a different word can totally change your train of thought?

Things have happened so quickly since Christmas Eve, that this is the very first time that I personally have had time to process these events. Now that I have mono and strep, hopefully I'll have a little extra time to write.  Until then, here is a short recap ( or not so short? We'll see :) ) of the events.

First and foremost, I want to let you know that being a granny nanny to granny was one of the greatest privileges and experiences that I have ever been gifted with. It is by far the hardest job I've ever loved, but the gifts and insights of Gods love and selflessness are priceless. I would also like to communicate a very key element to this experience that was never announced over Facebook. Part of this job was being apart of an elder abuse situation that was not evident to me until about 1 month into my job. There is not an ounce of my body that doesn't believe that her family loves her, but when you take a southern/mountain person heritage and plain ignorance of understanding abuse vs. love and all that love entails, there is no room for excuse but as always, plenty of room for grace. 

 Christmas Eve granny was losing a lot of blood and placed in the ICU. I went out on a limb and impressed upon the Dr. that it is not within granny's interest to have her discharged to her home. As such, she was discharged to a nursing home which is exactly where she belongs. Throughout this series of events, the "true colors" of my employer were revealed, making it very easy to cut ties to my new opportunity...fast forward to present day! ( All of a sudden I feel like I'm writing my own version of "A Christmas Carol")

About a month ago I placed an ad on Craig's list in an effort to look for a new job. About one week later I received a rather interesting response, requesting to speak to me on the phone. The next day I had the most lovely conversation with a strong Christian man in his 80's, telling me about how he feels very strongly that I am the person he is looking for to be the care coordinator/developer of a co-housing senior community that he is building in Hendersonville, NC ( where Jeremy lives). It didn't take me long to realize that my spirit was really connected with this man I had never met, and shortly after that he asked if it was o.k. to speak with Jeremy on the phone. One week later he met with Jeremy face to face over a cup of coffee, to which my dear boyfriend was slightly less skeptical than he was before, but not yet "sold". I assured him that I was far past being "sold" on the legitimacy of this opportunity, and that he can take all the time he needs to get past that point, as I have this fairly strong feeling that I may usually be at that destination first in most things like this.:)

A week ago this Saturday I had a interview with Gilman and his business partner, with Jeremy present as well. From the moment I hugged this precious older man, I felt tears beginning to work its way to my eyes. An 83 year old man who continued to reiterate to me that if you live your life in honesty and respect of people, that everything else would fall into place. An 83 year old man who has a passion, vision and dream for the well being and care of seniors and all people on the triad understanding of the spiritual, emotional and physical. But most of all, an 83 year old man who loves Jesus deeply, and in more ways than one assured me that if I gave him my time, talents, energy, heart and passion to this assignment, that he would take good care of me. It was a trust that was established so quickly, I can only attribute God to the speediness of the delivery. After about an hour, I was offered the job as the Director of Life Enrichment Outreach for the Village of Wild Flowers co-housing community. I will share more about my job description as it develops, but this is an opportunity that pretty much surpasses anything I could have ever dreamed of.

I started my job last Wednesday (I will be taking pictures soon), and have since been battling strep and mono, so I haven't made it too far yet. God's provision in this turn around has been unbelievable, as always. It's amazing to me how I always stand in awe of how He provides, even though He has done it time and time again. I am currently living with Jeremy's wonderful parents who have quickly become like a second father and mother to me. Not only have they graciously opened their home to me in this transition, but they have loved on me in a southern manner that involves far more than just biscuits, mayonnaise and chocolate ice cream. They have opened their hearts to me, and especially with being sick, this has been invaluable to me. God always finds a way to take care of me. Always. 

And last but not least, being so close to Jeremy has been such a wonderful blessing. I thank God every day for blessing me with a man who is so supportive, self aware, encouraging and has this profound ability to give me a good kick in the rear and knock sense into my head when it is needed, while making me laugh and lightening my spirit at the same time.  But above all, I am so grateful for the fact that He understands that He walks in God's grace and is subject to following the Lord no matter where He leads. He is hungry for knowledge, wisdom and insight, as well as cheesecake...which I learned when a brand new slice that I had "saved for later" had somehow disappeared. Eh, I guess sacrifices can be made. :)

In closing, I leave you with this fitting quote.

"Even if we go through great trials and the trials are, perhaps, even deeper than we experience now, we can know that the best is yet to come!"- Corrie Tenboom

Comments