Don't know? Don't Worry!



A week ago I found myself in a phone interview with a Target store. One of the questions was something along the lines of "Do you see yourself working long term with the senior population and in your field of study?" after thinking thoughtfully for a few seconds, I answered with "I honestly don't know. I know my strengths, my talents and my weaknesses, but I have no idea how that will manifest in my life for a career from this point on."

I stopped trying to "know" what to do a long time ago, because it seemed like the moment I thought I figured it out, God took me a totally different direction. However, I have noticed an alarming trend among people, especially Christians. That trend is thinking that you need to know an answer to a life altering situation right in that moment. Here's a question for you: what would happen if you just simply accepted the fact that you don't know? What do you fear will happen? If you haven't figured this out already, not only is satan the author of lies, but he is also the author of fear. I truly believe that fear is the base of nearly every sin and anxiety. For some things you have to look a bit deeper to find fear, but for most things, it's right on the surface, just underneath a layer of anxiety.

Most of us fear what would happen if we let go. How would we feel? What would happen? Does this make me seem incompetent? Will people judge me if I don't have the answer? 

I distinctly remember a moment in time where I was sitting in the living room of my ex's parents house, shortly after I lost my job in Cannon Falls. His mother came to me to chat some "small talk", and like any normal person asked me what my plans were now that I was looking for work. I remember thinking for a little bit, looked her in the eye and said very gently. "You know, I don't know right now." Immediately her body language and facial expression expressed that of surprise and shock, and it was clear that she didn't know how to respond to my honesty. In fact, I don't think she actually did verbally respond. 

We live in a world that tells us that in order to be "OK", we must have a plan. In order to have a plan, we have to "know" what we need to do, where we need to go and how we are supposed to do it. If we don't know, it is considered weakness, laziness or being unsuccessful. This isn't surprising, since the worldly concept is "I". It does not recognize a God that does know when we don't. It does not recognize the concept of surrendering ourselves to a higher power, but rather surrenders itself to the power of money, power, self desire and control. We do not live in a world where transparency and honesty emits   strength. Why do we so often forget that the way the world operates is in direct opposition to how God our Father operates in His plan for our lives?

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."-Jeremiah 29:11  

He knows.  Here is a beautiful truth that you can cling to and call your own. Not only does God know now and forever, but in His perfect timing, He will allow you to know as well. He is never early and never late. The times that we don't know have a purpose in His plan for your life. 

Let go friends. May you see the gift in the question mark, knowing that the one who holds all the answers is in control.

Comments