A Christmas Kind of Trust



As we prepare for the Christmas season, I find myself thinking a lot more about Mary, the mother of Jesus. Being born and raised into the Missouri Synod Lutheran church, this precious girl was never really discussed all that often. Throughout the years I have spent time studying and learning about her, as I feel like there are so many beautiful truths that God desires us to glean from this humble maiden.   

Yesterday in a conversation with a friend, I found myself identifying a truth in a way that I had never seen or thought of it before. In our humanity, we often default to assumption as to why God is doing the things He is doing, why He has blessed us with something and/or why He has chosen to take something away or delay a prayer request. The moment we see a possible reason, we latch on to that reason while in turn trusting more in what we can see, rather than having that ultimate trust in God.


This morning after a good nights sleep, I woke up with that truth on my heart and than started to connect that truth with Mary. Mary didn't need to make any assumptions, because an angel of the Lord personally told her what God's plan was for her life. "The angel  went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you." Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus."-Luke 1:28-31.

In some ways, I look at Mary and I wonder how it would feel to know what Gods plan is. The angel very specifically laid out what was going to happen and what she could expect. However, in her youth of a girl between 12-14, I wonder if she struggled to trust the unfolding of these events. I would venture that the greatest moment of trusting God in His plan was when she became pregnant by the Holy Spirit and expected Joseph to believe that that is indeed what took place. "This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly."-Matthew 1: 18-19

Let's face it. It would be so much easier to follow God's plan when He specifically lays out what is going to happen and how it's going to happen. The truth at hand is that we are called to trust our Savior to communicate this plan without the verbalization of angels and literally hearing God's voice give a "play by play" as to what is going to happen in our lives. The older I get, the more I realize how God choosing to unveil His plan for His children enables us to participate in our relationship with Him. If we knew the answers, we wouldn't have as big of a need or as large of an urgency to press into Christ and seek His face.

In closing, I am reminded of the "Candy Cane Prayer" that was enclosed in a Christmas card from my boyfriend's sweet mother. 


Candy Cane Prayer

Look at the Candy Cane
What do you see?
Stripes that are red
Like the blood shed for you and me
White is for my Savior
Who's sinless and pure!
"J" is for Jesus my Lord, that's for sure!
Turn it around
and a staff you will see
Jesus my Shepherd was born for me!


During this Christmas season, may you be inspired to trust God in the unveiling of His plan for your life. May God enable you to adapt the ability to trust God as Mary and Joseph did, with the same peace and passion as if God sent Gabriel himself to verbally reveal God's plan for your life. And when you see a candy cane, may you see a Shepherd's staff more than a holiday confectionery, for He is leading you through this Christmas season and into the new year.

Comments