Green Girl Update: Tennessee Granny Nanny


Oh the glorious World Wide Web!  To think that in the 1800's when people would travel and go on far away adventures, they had to wait for weeks and sometimes months before a loved one heard any news as to how they were doing and any real connection was made. How grateful I am to sit at my new kitchen table and catch all of you up on the most recent adventure that God has sent me on. At the moment my little "southern stinker" ( and by "little", I mean little. Less then 100 pounds and not quite 5'2) is napping on the couch, giving me some time to finish my coffee and compile my thoughts for this post.

Depending on who you are, you may have been totally shocked to see on facebook that my location switched from Sioux Falls, SD. to Elizabethton, TN.  Well friends, I share with you in that shock, as this new change hasn't quite made a "head, heart and body" connection. However, the fact that this new change in my life is completely and totally ordained by God suffices for any lack of "connection" that I may be experiencing at this present time.

On August 28th 2012, I lost my job as a Chiropractic Assistant. It was a complete shock, as just a week before they expressed interest in me being apart of the hiring process for the new CA position that was once again opened after the 3rd girl since I had been there was fired or quit. No real reason was given as to why they let me go, which is accurate because there were no reasons. I had been praying for quite some time that God would open a door else where, and if that not be His will, that He would give me the strength and the ability to continue to work and function in the job He had given me. Well, once again God uprooted me and clearly told me that He had other plans for me.

As I prayed for direction and listened for Gods voice, one thing became very clear: "I don't want you in a health care support occupation in an institution, I want you to go into someones home." After receiving this leading, I started brain storming how to do this. I realized that there were seniors in their home that were not ready for the nursing home quite yet, but just needed someone in their home to cook, clean, give them their meds, e.t.c.  I searched different options and posted adds on Care.com and Craig's List, but no response. On the same day that I learned that my previous employers were fighting me getting unemployment benefits, I had a conversation with my best friend who lives in Tennessee. She looked on her local Craig's List and found the following ad: "Need a babysitter for my granny. Call..."  I ended my conversation with Erin, and called the number right away. A sweet, extremely southern voice picked up the phone, and that conversation lasted for an hour. The woman expressed to me that she was looking for a live in nanny to take care of her 90 year old granny with moderate dementia. In that first conversation on the phone, I felt an immediate connection, peace and drawing to this individual and possible job opportunity. To make a long story short, within 3 days I was offered the job and within 1.5 weeks, I moved myself and all my belongings to Elizabethton, TN.

My dear friend Jenni accompanied me on the trip, which made it so enjoyable. We drove through at least 7 states in under 48 hours and stopped at some fun places a long the way. Having her with me made me feel less alone in making this huge life change, and it was such a confirmation of what a true and lasting friendship that I have in Jenni. We stayed at a hotel in Louisville, KY and I drove on from there. As I drove through Virginia and into Tennessee, it began to settle in a little bit more that I was no where NEAR the mid west. I nearly drove off the side of the road as I was captivated by the incredible beauty of the mountains and terrain of this area. When I arrived to the little white house on Massey street (which I now call "home"), Wendy ( Granny's grand daughter) met me at the door with granny. The moment I saw granny, I knew that this was God's gift to me and that I was clearly on the right path. 

 It amazes me how fast the changes in life can happen, but what is beginning to amaze me even more is that the more changes you go through, the smoother they tend to be, as Christ tends to make each transition a bit less rockier then the last. 
  
A few note worthy "changes that have taken place:


  • Cooking and day to day life: I went from hardly ever cooking to cooking 3 meals a day! Right away in the morning I have her coffee ready and make her a hot breakfast. Usually this consists of a slice of bacon, an egg and a biscuit, but recently we've switched to oatmeal and a biscuit.  We then usually eat breakfast together, drink coffee and watch the news. The rest of our day kind of depends on the weather and what she feels up to doing. She loves to sit out on her front and tend to her flowers and bird bath, and one of her favorite things to do is eat and discuss what our next meal is going to be while she is eating a meal. The neighborhood dogs love it at our place, because granny insists on feeding them any left over scraps. I am in the process of getting more scheduled activities planned for her to get out of the house and visit family, go for drives and meet new people. 
  • Since living in the south, I have had quite an education on the art of southern cooking and cooking in general. So far I've boiled cabbage, fried pork chops and made home made corn bread on more then one occasion! According to granny, my corn bread is better then hers, which is a feather that I've put in my cap on more then one occasion. I now know what "soup beans" are, and have accepted that nearly everything is fried, baked, mixed and topped with butter. Every morning when I have my cereal, she asks me "What are ya' eattin'?" and I say "cereal" and she gives me this disgusted look and shakes her head. Yes, yes...we already are getting a routine put in place. :)
  • Foreigner:  The south is truly a different culture in and of itself. It's been fascinating to listen to different expressions and I think that everyone is bent on getting me fat. It didn't take me long to figure out that I am the one with the accent! Expressions heard thus far " I'm as full as a tick!", "He's got a lot of dollars but no sense",  and "oooh Laaawd" is said, which is a lot like "that's different" or "Oofta!" in Minnesotan.  I don't know how Minnesotans get the "Minnesota Nice" reputation, because I have never met people that have been more nice then those in this area. Everyone appears to be down to earth, wholesome and kind. Family is a huge deal for them, and the family I work for is no exception to this fact.  May I also mention that a male barista at Starbucks gave me a free latte for "waiting longer then 3 minutes". Even though he was hitting on me, he introduced himself, asked me what my name was, and shared with me that he takes care of his grandma several times a week. You can't tell me that I would have had this experience at a Starbucks in Minneapolis!
           Once again, I am in awesome of God's faithfulness, provision and perfect timing. He has sent me to a "little southern stinker", and I already love her dearly. He knew that I needed her, and that she needed me. Like anything, this job has it's challenges, but nothing that cannot be dealt with with God by my side. I am absolutely blessed and floored by all the people who have prayed for me and continue to pray, those who have come along side me and walked with me through the many valleys that the last couple years have brought me. You all know who you are. I have felt your prayers moving me, lifting me and pushing me through so many of my days. God bless you.

What a precious opportunity to help enhance the quality of the remainder of her life, and walk with her hand and hand through all the trials of aging, dementia and loneliness. So much has been provided for me through this job, but the main thing that God has provided is resting in His love as I use my gifts, strengths, talents and passions to His glory. My prayer is that He will continue to empty me of me and fill me with more of Him, and less corn bread :)  Stay tuned for updates on the "Granny Nanny", and God bless you all!

Comments