Unmovable


So much of my childhood can be marked by memories of specific movies. I remember believing that I was "Belle" in "Beauty and the Beast", as I sang all of Belle's songs word for word, much to the dismay of my siblings. I also remember watching "Annie", wishing that I was enduring the "Hard Knock Life" with so many fun little girls, even if they were orphans and had to sleep on straw mattresses.

 But there is one movie that continues to resonate in my spirit as I journey through adulthood. That movie is "Wild Heart's Can't be Broken".  The movie is about a young teenage girl growing up during the depression who has big dreams, and a wild spirit. Her parents died when she was young, and her aunt who took her in kicked her out because she was unable to feed all the mouths in her home. 
  Prior to her being kicked out of the home, there is a scene that sticks in my mind; a scene that I feel God has brought to my spirit for such a time as this.
   
The scene takes place in a one room school house. Sonora's rival made a comment that was rude enough to prompt her to smack her in the face, which in turn got Sonora kicked out of school. However, upon being told to leave the school room, Sonora wrapped her legs so tightly around the chair she was sitting in, and refused to move. The teacher tried in vain to get her to unwrap her legs from the chair, but was unsuccessful. After several attempts to get her to leave, the teacher gave up, and informed the school that she is simply "not here" and is to be ignored.

I have come to learn that things happen to us in life that have the potential to really shake us to the core. If we are not grounded in the truths of Jesus Christ; the incredible and amazing reality that we may be shaken in this life, but in Him our spirits are unmovable. Because of His strength, His character and His perfect love, we can remain calm and, like Sonora, we can wrap ourselves so tightly and stubbornly around our Heavenly Father that no person, event, pain and even satan himself, can move, shake or throw us from the grip of Jesus Christ.

"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."-1st Cor. 15:58

Comments