The Importance of People


Last week I joined a Beth Moore Bible study at a church in town, and the week that I joined just happened to be about patience (Imagine that!). Throughout the Bible study we discussed the different kinds of patience, and divided those types into two categories: Patience with people, and patience in circumstances. Both types of patience can be challenging, but it seems like as individuals we gravitate more towards being more patient in one area then the other. People who work with numbers and money all day tend to have more patience with the circumstances of an account or project, where as people who are assisting disabled individuals in their day to day tasks tend to have more patience with people. 

 At some point in the Bible study, Beth Moore stated this quote that really hit home for me. " How we respond to circumstances is important, but how we respond to people is critical." It was at that point that the Lord convicted me of the fact that over the last couple of months, I have been so focused on my circumstances, that I have lost sight many of the people in my life. I have been so busy responding to my circumstances, that my response to people has been lacking and limited.
 Whether it is people or circumstances, the concept of responding can be exhausting. In fact, right at this moment I am enjoying not needing to respond to anything unless I want to. We respond to alarm clocks, we respond to paying bills, we respond to our co-workers and bosses, to our significant others, family members and friends. Responding is necessary for survival; it's often connected with meeting a need and it keeps us connected. 

When we look at scripture, it is clear that God's priorities are you and I; His babies, the "apples of his eye", His pride and joy. I am reminded of a song that contemporary music group "Point of Grace" put out years ago in the 90's, "God Loves People More than Anything". God did not sacrifice His one and only son specifically for circumstances, but for His children. Isn't it fair to say that we should strive to do the same? We may not be asked to sacrifice our lives, but be asked to lay other things on the altar; time, pride and our comfort zones, just to name a few. This is asked of us whether or not we would deem ourselves a "people" person.

So the next time you are more concerned about checking off the next item on your "to do" list, may you have eyes and the heart to see that the little old woman in the pink sweater ahead of you in line, who is taking 15 minutes to write out a check because she has no idea how to swipe her debit card to pay for her items, is by far more important then getting to the next circumstance of your day. May we all strive to love people more than anything.

Comments