Good Things Will Come My Way



With the start of a new year, I have found myself still dealing with the same old challenges. As I have been in life's limbo, I have found it absolutely necessary to surround myself with encouragement and inspiration in whatever way that I can. 
 In many of my posts I have quoted Melodee Beattie, author of "The Language of Letting Go" (one of my daily devotionals). Every now and again I come across a very profound entry in this devotional and think it would be absolutely wrong if I didn't share it with more then one person. :) 

Affirming the Good

"Wait, and expect good things-for yourself and your loved ones. When you wonder what is coming, tell yourself the best is coming, the very best life and love have to offer, the best God and His universe have to send. Then open your hands to receive it. Claim it, and it is yours.
    See the best in your mind; envision what it will look like, what it will feel like. Focus, until you can see it clearly. Let your whole being, body and soul, enter into and hold onto the image for a moment.
     Then, let it go. Come back into today, the present moment. Do not obsess. Do not become fearful. Become excited. Live today fully, expressing gratitude for all you have been, and all you are, and all you will become.
      Wait, and expect good things." -Melodee Beattie

I don't know about you, but it's been a long time since I've had expectations of great things to happen in my life. When we are children playing dress up and teenagers preparing for the real world, I think it is easier to expect great things for our future. In Jeremiah 29:11, God promises His children that He not only knows and is laying out the plan for our lives, but those plans are to "prosper and not to harm; to give you a hope and a future".  But as we continue through life and realize that the "great things" we expected aren't coming to pass, it may seem like God's promise is obsolete. When we lose our job, experience the death of a loved one, go through a divorce and deal with an internal illness and what seems like eternal bills and debts, it is hard to have great expectations for good things to happen. And yet, despite the discomfort of trials and challenges, God's promise remains. There are great things in store for those who love and serve Him. And that is not limited to this earth, but is ultimately referring to our eternal heavenly home.

Expect and affirm good things for the year 2012. May God grant you the discernment to know what good things you can obtain for yourself ( good health,time management, etc) and what good things you can allow God to do in your life; what good things you can choose to embrace, no matter what package they may come in.

Comments

Post a Comment