Memory Loss in All the Right Places

As I sit in the stillness of late morning with a cup of coffee and a refreshed spirit, I am compelled to communicate a truth that God has revealed to my heart.
 I need not spend much time reminding you of what an unmerciful world we live in. We live in a world that is driven by money, politics, greed and selfish ambition. From a young age, we are conditioned to believe that it is the achievement of these things that will give you a name and a place in this world. Many of us (including myself) go out of our way trying to stay on the "right path", doing whatever we can to avoid making mistakes that will give us visible marks that would reveal our humanity; mistakes that would have the potential to haunt us for the rest of our lives.

For the last couple months, I have been struggling like a caterpillar in a cocoon, trying to break free in God's truth to this harsh reality of life on earth. I have felt like the character of the "wemmik" in Max Lucado's children's book "You are Special".  Instead of getting stars, I have been getting big, fat dots. In fact, the cold sore outbreak that I'm healing from is such a reflection of how I feel on the inside. We live in a world that is quicker to give us dots, rather than stars. And in this world, those dots have a staying power that only Jesus Christ can remove.
This morning in my quiet time, I came across this verse in Hebrews:

"God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them."-Hebrews 6:10

My heart is at rest as I am reminded of the powerful truth that unlike the world we live in, God has absolutely and completely forgotten our sins and mistakes. In fact, that moment we bring them to Him, it is as if it never happened. He will never shove them in our face and threaten our peace, but instead only remembers the work we've done; the love that we have shown others that is pleasing in His sight. Friends, a relationship with Christ is the beginning to understanding a truth as powerful as this one. Otherwise we will walk around on this earth so full of dots that represent every mistake we've made, every person we've hurt and every moment of disobedience that we've taken part in.
He sees you. He smiles when you do the simplest thing that blesses His heart. He keeps no record of wrongs, but only an ongoing list of all you've done right. He's pleased with you, He loves you, and He only desires to give you stars and remove your dots, as he continues to carve and sand you to perfection as His special craftsmanship.

Comments