Let Her Sleep

Sleep is such a beautiful thing. It is God's gift to our weary bodies; an essential form of restoration in order to survive. We all look forward to that time at night where we are completely done with the day, and drift into sleep, forgetting about the cares of the day. There are some days where the world seems to be falling apart, but after a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee, everything seems more manageable again.
Sleep is also used to promote healing.When we are ill, we spend a good amount of time sleeping in order to get back to normal ,working order. Just recently I've been battling a virus, and have found myself sleeping a lot more than normal in order to heal.
"Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will move mountains"
I have always viewed sleep in the literal sense, but after reading this quote, I found myself looking at the verb in a very different manner.Today I mentioned to a friend that it seems like all I've been doing is laying around and sleeping, to which he replied "look at it as restoration from the last few months. You've been through a lot."
 Right now, I feel like my life is in slow motion. I am waiting for direction for work, trying to develop a routine where there isn't much structure to work with and struggling to remain positive. But maybe, just maybe, this is a literal time to sleep and rest; not only physically, but spiritually and emotionally. I'm so used to always "doing" something, or striving to "be" something. These last couple of years pushed the "doing" and "being" factors into high gear, and all of a sudden it's been kicked to neutral.
 As a woman of God, I desire to move mountains in this world. Tears come to my eyes when I reminisce on the times when God and I did move mountains together. I desire to thrive and not merely survive, and live every day of my life as if it were the last.
 But right now, let me sleep. Let me sleep so that when it is time to move some more mountains, I will be present in every sense of the word. Let me sleep, so that I can gain back my strength and heal from the open wounds.

"I  will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, o Lord, make me dwell in safety."-Psalm 4:8

Comments