Buried Shame, Uncovered Treasures of Truth

There is something very exciting about buried treasure. Remember those infomercials for metal detectors, with those happy retired senior citizens roaming the beach, searching for hidden valuables underneath the sand? Gifts wrapped up in deep boxes and layers of tissue paper can have the same affect, as you excitedly rip away all the unnecessary debris to get to that item tucked away at the bottom.
There also remains the reality that just as much as special, fun, shiny objects can be buried and discovered, there is also a possibility that one may find something not nearly as desirable; a murdered body, a box of hand written love letters that were stolen and never given to the rightful owner, or a secret that has never been shared and festers into fear within the heart of that individual.
More often than not, things that are buried are meant to be buried. There is an intention in the process, whether it be hiding something to keep it safe or in an effort to ignore a painful memory. However, I recently learned the exception to this truth.

"Sarah, I've been doing some thinking, and I've decided that although you do have a lot of strengths, they do not outweigh your weaknesses."
When I heard this statement spoken with such a mechanical, unfeeling tone, I found myself so numb that I, myself, became mechanical in order to digest what I heard. I heard one thing, but it became clear that my heart heard something quite different. Even though I knew that what was said was meant to be hurtful and manipulative, my head and logic was not connecting to my heart. I buried this evil, ugly statement that was spoken to me, deep down in my heart, in a place where only Jesus would be able to uncover it, and make any sense of it.
For over a month, it haunted me. My greatest, unspoken fear of myself was brought into the tangible world to be heard, not just thought in the privacy of my own head. Could it be that despite all my God given gifts and abilities, that my weaknesses were truly outweighing them? Even though on a rational level as a Christian I knew that this was a lie, something wasn't breaking me from it.

This weekend, God revealed to me the importance of knowing the difference between guilt and shame. Guilt says: "I've done something wrong" , but shame says: "I am something wrong". When I heard this description, I realized what had happened. When the statement was spoken to me, it was meant to manipulate and make me feel guilty. But in all actuality, it was a statement of shame. I believed that as a person, I was wrong. I had buried that shame so deeply, and in the busyness of life, chose not to dig very deep to unearth it.Friends, how often do we hear something (and by "hear" I don't just mean just with your ears, as our hearts hear things as well) and interpret something as shame? I pray that if there is any buried shame in your life, that by God's power, sovereignty and grace, you would allow Him to uncover it and set you free. As Christians, we have the most amazing promises to claim. One of those promises is that in our weakness, HE is our strength.
"But He said to me "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses so that the power of Christ can work in me."- 2nd Cor. 12:9We MUST stand on the word. God's word has the power reveal these truths in a world where satan longs to tinge things with evil and shame. Just as Christ has unearthed the shame, He has in turn polished His priceless treasure and made us shine in a world that is hopeless without Him.

Walk in the freedom that there is NO condemnation and shame for those who belong to Jesus Christ. Bury yourself in Him.

Comments