Falling Short


The phrase "falling short" is not connected to very many positive connotations. I don't know a single person who likes to "fall short" of anything, whether it be a skill, money, an obligation, a relationship, etc. When we "fall short", we tend to view it as another way to say "failure".
God's creativity of speaking to us never ceases to amaze me. As of late, one of the ways He's been consistently speaking to me about my utter need and dependence of Him in all things have been some new and challenging aspects to my job. From the beginning of my time at Twin Rivers, I was always feelings like I was falling short in some area, because I was juggling so many balls at one time; one was bound to drop somewhere, and trust me, they did. Now that I have an assistant and a pay raise, (two blessings that I am in constant gratitude for) things in my work life have been taking a positive turn, but have proven to have some very new and challenging dynamics. I always leave my office feeling like somehow I fell short in at least one area, only to quickly remind myself that as one person juggling three different areas in 40 hours a week, I will fall short. It's just part of the package deal.

A lesson that God is constantly teaching and reteaching me, is that in my own strength, I do fall short. In my own abilities, I will only see past and understand things to a certain point. That despite my title of "activity director", there are many times where I feel as if I can barely direct myself to the next step. Recently, God has been teaching me in a very real way that my utter dependence on Him is key in the concept of simply living and doing. That as a human being, God actually designed me to fall short, because if I never fell short, I would never fall into Him. It's such a beautiful reminder that I have not been put on this earth for my pleasures and self gratification, but for His.

Friends, remember that when you "fall short" in any area of your life, it is a blessing. It reminds us of what we truly are, and who God is. I don't know about you, but I get pretty sick of me. I'm thankful that through Christ, this fumbling woman who is constantly falling short never falls short of her Savior... and thank goodness.

Comments