In My Father's Keeping


Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved to read. It doesn't matter if someone is reading to me or I'm reading the book myself, I have always viewed reading as an entrance into other worlds where the words on the pages are like keys into the "three I's"; information, inspiration and imagination. In my eyes, the people you meet, the lands you discover, the lessons you learn and the truths that are revealed to your heart are priceless.As an activity director, I have had the privilege of translating this love and passion into a weekly activity for my residents.
Every Thursday morning at 9:00, I have a small group of about 5 ladies who gather together over coffee and a bakery treat as I read a novel out loud, bringing it to life with expression. ( is this any surprise?) They absolutely love it, and so do I.We just finished reading "Anne of Green Gables", which they loved, and are now on the third chapter of "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Tenboom. This book is a true story about a holocaust survivor, and it takes place in Holland during World War II. "Anne of Green Gables" was lighthearted, funny and heart warming, where as this literary challenge is going to be just that: a challenge for the heart. It is so important to read things that put our lives and troubles into perspective, especially when it is about people who have overcome odds and obstacles that we can't even fathom.
Senior citizens are faced with many, many hardships and obstacles of their own; these include but are not limited to loss of eye sight, hearing, walking, dealing with arthritis, medication side effects, bed sores, depression, the death of many loved ones and memory loss. One of my main goals as an activity director is to enhance their quality of life by giving them the encouragement and tools that they need to cope with and accept these hardships. More than anything in the world do I wish I could ban all hearing and vision loss, but truth be told, it is through these hardships that they become stronger individuals with their true beauty shining through the pain. Maybe you can identify with this truth.
I marvel at God's creativity in speaking to His children. Today, it was through a paragraph in a book. My prayer is that in some way it will bless and encourage you.
The following conversation takes place between a young Corrie Tenboom and her father. Corrie just finished asking her father what sex is.
"He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted the traveling case from the rack above our heads, and set it on the floor.
"Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?" he said. I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning. "It's too heavy," I said.
"Yes," he said." and it would be a pretty poor father who would ask a little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you."
And I was satisfied. More then satisfied-wonderfully at peace. There were answers to this and all my hard questions- for now I was content to leave them in my father's keeping."
-"The Hiding Place" by Corrie Tenboom

I nearly cried when I read this paragraph, because I knew without a doubt that God was speaking right to my heart. Recently I have been faced with a lot of tough questions. I had been blessed with something very good and wonderful on so many levels, and then before I knew it, it was gone. I wrestled and fought with God, asking Him not only the typical question of "why?!", but dared to tell Him that I didn't deserve it. "Why would you bless me with something so wonderful, and then take it away so quickly?". After my share of fighting, kicking and screaming, my Heavenly Father waited for me to let go and let Him show me His goodness and faithfulness in the midst of my pain and confusion.
I praise God that He has and will continue to carry all of those heavy things in my heart.He holds us close, lays His head on ours, tenderly kisses our cheek and looks deep into our eyes. Just like Corrie, I can rest in the beautiful fact that God holds the answers to all of the hard questions in my life.

Comments