"Free To Be Me", and The Fashion Blunder



I absolutely love it when things "tie together". Whether it be in a conversation where you are verbally "connecting the dots" with somebody, a research paper where all of the quotes and information take the form of an actual piece of organized work, rather then a slew of white index cards scattered on a table. Or, such as in this case, an evening where it was evident that the Lord was orchestrating a theme/life lesson through a series of conversations, comments, and shared experiences.


I'm going to start this story with a fashion blunder that was unknowingly made at the start of my day. It had to have been about 45 degrees most of the day, with winds that made it feel even colder. I haven't had the time yet to go down to storage and pull out warmer clothes, and it seems like a sin to wear tights in the middle of september. My wardrobe has not quite transitioned from summer to fall, and even if it did transition all by itself, the craziness of my life would not have been able to keep up with the change. So, with that being said, on went the brown leggings and boots, with not a thought put into it, other than "this will keep me warm today and it matches". Between a memory care luncheon outing that used nearly all of my alloted daily brain and body power, cleaning the craft room, cooresponding to emails, trying to plan the October activity calendar, filling out insurance forms and running to Bible study, I had been going strong all day long, with a million and one things on my mind.

After a whole day went by in my leggings and boots, I was reprimanded by one of the teen girl's at church that I was "never to wear those leggings with that dress again." At first I was a bit shocked, because for most of my life, I have paid careful attention to what I wear and the impression that I give people. But then I came to a great realization. "I simply don't care!". It was like this mini mile stone marker as an adult. I certainly will take her advice, that is for sure, as I have demonstrated the fact that I may need a little assistance in the fashion department from time to time. Also, I spent a good 10 minutes looking at my fashion blunder, kind of amazed I had gone a whole day without a thought to those leggings. But, the mini mile stone marker is that I don't define myself by my appearance; that I have spent a lot of personal time cultivating that which is inside and the talents, gifts and calling that the Lord has blessed me with. I think I'm finally beginning to experience that personal freedom that comes from feeling free to be who I am, without any apologies, wishing to be different or comparing myself to other individuals.


And what did the Bible study topic just happen to be that night? "Free to be Me". As a group we discussed our individual talents, gifts and passions, and how unique and beautiful that each one is to the body of Christ. That although God's will for us is about HIM and how He desires to use us to further His kingdom and glorify His existance, He has created each of His children as uniquely as a finger print; not one of them the same, but all of them contributing something beautiful to His divine plan. I think that women especially get so caught up in what is the "right" thing to wear, have, do, etc. and somehow we feel inadequate and/or incomplete if we don't do "the right thing". Praise the Lord that as Christians, we have a right to that peace of knowing that our self worth lies within what He thinks of us. "...For a man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1st Samuel 16:5-7. We can also have confidence in the fact that if we invest in our relationship with Him, diligently study His love letters to us, and take time to listen to His voice, we are investing our time and energy into something far more important than the latest fashion trend. In my short 24 years of life, I have come to find that the most valuable fashion accessory lies within 1st Peter 3:3-4 . I love how the "New Living translation" words it.


"Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."


What peace we can find in these verses. We won't ever be able to truly keep up with what is "right" in the world of fashion and appearance, for a variety of reasons. However, if we continually invest and cultivate the inner beauty that can only come from Jesus Christ, we can rest in that truth. For a woman at rest with herself is a beautiful thing indeed.



Comments