Gaps with a Purpose






Something that God has been teaching me lately is that there is a divine purpose for the voids in our lives. Things aren't empty or "incomplete" for no good reason, and the timing of when that void gets filled (or if it ever gets filled), is not for us deal with.


We live in a society that rushes to "fill in the gaps". It can be as simple and frivelous as buying a picture to hang on the wall because something is "missing" in the completion of the decor, or that "poor, young single person" whom is the working "project" of all his friends, because it simply isn't good to be single.


Why do we get nervous when there is a gap to be filled? And what makes us view it as a gap? Am I the only one who spends time pondering questions like these? (Right now I can visualize at least 5 of my faithful readers shaking their heads, with a slight smirky smile). But really, think about this. What is it that communicates to us that something is "missing", "incomplete" or "not whole"?


I think the answer varies from person to person, but I am certain in saying that culture plays a huge role in what is identified as a "gap", and that same culture is quick to offer so many ways in which to fill that gap. I won't spend time telling you the various "fulfilling" resources that culture offers, I'm sure you can do that on your own; but I am going to spend time telling you how the voids/ gaps in our lives are not only "okay", but serve a divine purpose in our walk with the Lord.


I think the most tangible example that one can use as a "gap" in life is a relationship and/or a spouse. Society says that if you are without that, there is something "missing". Same goes for the "American Dream", which is commonly indentified as a well paying job, a spouse, kids, the white picket fence and dream home. Unfortunantly, there are far too many individuals ( Christians as well as non-Christians) who go through life searching for ways to fill those voids and wondering what could possibly be so wrong with them that that void isn't filled. But the truth is friends, that I believe God uses those voids in our lives so that HE can be the one to fill that gap.




Here is what God revealed to me: God has given me a deep desire for marriage. Every day that desire deepens. I want to come along side of my husband, encourage him, uplift and support him, and have those same blessings in return. God designed woman to desire that, and I think that that is beautiful. I have had the choice as to whether or not to be fearful as to why that gap has yet to be filled, but what I've come to learn in a very real way is that those empty gaps are what draws us closer to our Father. God wants to fill all of those gaps in our lives, and He wants us to truly know within the depths of our heart, that He and only He, can have that privilege.


I am always aware that sharing pieces of my personal life is a risk of my own personal vulnerability, but my prayer is that by being vulnerable and honest, I may minister to the heart of at least one individual, and that that individual would in turn muster up the courage to do the same for another.




May you experience the peace that comes when you allow Jesus to stand in all the gaps of your life. May you have the courage to accept, see and embrace the ways in which He can meet every need, sealing each one with His grace and understanding.


Comments